Golf Course Industry
- 1 (3-to-4 pound) whole chicken
- Your favorite chicken rub or seasoning (I use Killer Hogs AP rub)
- Olive oil for binder
- Cut out the backbone of the chicken with some kitchen shears and open it up like a book. This allows for the entire chicken to heat up fast and cook evenly throughout.
- Spatchcock the chicken the night before, pat it dry and put it in the fridge overnight to completely dry out.
- Rub the chicken down with olive oil.
- Coat all sides and apply rub.
- Preheat smoker or grill to 425; the higher temperature helps get the skin extra crispy.
- Place the chicken on the grates, skin side up.
- Cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until the internal temperature in the breast reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving.