Accolade recognizes academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, leadership and outside employment.
Nine children and grandchildren of Georgia GCSA members will share in $5,500 in financial support for their education as winners of the association's 2012 Legacy Scholarships. Nelson Caron, scholarship committee chairman, says Georgia GCSA members have now provided nearly $40,000 in scholarships since the program's inception in 2001.
Caron, a Georgia GCSA director and golf course superintendent at The Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill, Ga., says the legacy scholarships demonstrate the Georgia GCSA commitment to its members and also the communities in which those members work. "We are proud to support these young people whose education will help them contribute as citizens and hopefully as future leaders in their field," Caron says.
Criteria for scholarship selection included: academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, leadership and outside employment. Students were required to submit two essays. To be eligible, one or more of the applicant's parents or grandparents must have been a Georgia GCSA member for five or more consecutive years and must be a currently active Georgia GCSA member in one of the following classifications: A, SM, C, Retired A, Retired SM or AA Life. The student must be enrolled full-time at an accredited institution for the next academic year.
2012 Georgia GCSA legacy scholars:
- Amanda Martin - daughter of Mike Martin - Hampton Golf Village, Cumming - top award recipient.
- Courtney Cunningham - daughter of Tim Cunningham, CGCS, Coosa Country Club, Rome.
- Brendan Hoban - son of Mark Hoban, Rivermont Golf & Country Club, Alpharetta.
- Zachary Baldwin - grandson of Harold L. Baldwin, Sr.
- Chelsey Cain - daughter of Kent Cain, The Country Club of the South, Alpharetta.
- Ryan Cunningham - son of Tim Cunningham, CGCS, Coosa Country Club, Rome.
- Ann Drinkard - daughter of James Drinkard, Athens Country Club, Athens.
- Nick Geter - son of Jimmy Geter, CGCS, Marietta Country Club, Marietta.
- Hallie Murray - grandaughter of Buzz Howell, retired Athens Country Club.